As a trainee doctor, you have to choose among several possibilities. If you are thinking aesthetic medicine could be the right path for you, please consider the diverse aspects you will have to face during your training and in your career.
- The driving force must not be the money: even if this is one of the biggest attractions the field of aesthetic medicine can offer, please consider that this field rewards the experience gained in a long time.
- Training: quick and easy. When compared to other medical specialism, aesthetic medicine provides a shorter training to achieve a thorough formation. Moreover, a significant percentage of procedures does not require the use of an anesthetic or scalpel, as in the case of hyaluronic acid fillers.
- The relationship with your patient is important. Conversely to other medical specialisms, aesthetic medicine gives the possibility to build trust and connection with your patients. Many of them will undergo more than just one operation, and if they trust you, they will ask you to follow them in their path. This aspect has a second consequence.
- Good beyond manners: besides being kind, you will have to be a very good listener for your patients. Empathy, sensitivity, the ability to understand their desires and making them achievable are some of the keys to success.
- Study, research, experience. In the field of aesthetic medicine, it is very difficult to keep up with everything if you do not inform yourself about new techniques, materials, types of surgery (and of patients!). This aspect could be stimulating for someone and stressful for someone else.
- Image and reputation. With increasing requests coming from younger people, social media and online image play a crucial role in building your success in the field.
- Know when to say no! When a patient’s expectations cannot be satisfied, when a request would lead to an unnatural and exaggerated result, the doctor should safeguard the future wellness of the patient and refuse to operate, explaining the reasons with kindness, but also determination.